FARAD: Flying Aircraft Radar Signature Acquisition and Determination
FARAD is a radar signature measurement system designed for operational testing, including flying platform assessment, acceptance and characterization.
FARAD is a transportable measurement solution developed for Radar Cross Section (RCS) measurements of high-speed low observable flying targets, including “stealth” technology levels.
FARAD has been designed to automatically track flying targets and measure their total RCS. During acquisition, the target is flying in operational mode over the measurement theater.
FARAD is a modular, fully transportable, self-powered, ruggedized and all-weather integrated system.
The FARAD system allows a measurement campaign to be performed almost immediately after the system has been deployed at a site of convenience.
Composition - System Breakdown
FARAD comprises two main modules: an Equipment Trailer and an Operating Shelter, which can be transported by a single standard van for use at measurement site.
- Radar sensor equipment
- Antenna positioning equipment
- Target tracking equipment
- positioning control computer
- tracking computer
- post processing computer
- Applicable to fighters, bombers, helicopters, Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) down to very small UASs
- Fast chirp waveform generation and coherent and not-coherent integration lead to extreme flexibility in terms of sensitivity, measurement range and diagnostic capabilities
- Embedded target tracking capability
- Extreme sensitivity, suitable for stealth targets
- Target maximum speed: 250 m/s