Integrated cartographic environment for automated, template based creation and maintenance of aeronautical charts
ICE (Integrated Cartographic Environment) is a GIS (graphical information system) based solution for the creation and maintenance of aeronautical charts as per the ICAO roadmap from AIS (aeronautical information services) to AIM (aeronautical information management). It increases the efficiency of production, and quality, of ICAO Annex 4 and tailored aeronautical charts by establishing a live connection to data sources such as IDS’s AeroDB. A high level of rule-driven automation, such as object clashes and label de-confliction, significantly reduces production time and costs.
ICE can insert, extract and update all of the aeronautical feature data and chart templates that are needed to generate new charts and update existing charts for each Aeronautical Information Regulation and Control (AIRAC) cycle.
It is fully integrated with IDS’s PLX workflow management system and maintains a live connection with the centralized aeronautical database and other geographical data sources.
By default, ICE includes a database and a predefined set of rules (chart templates) which allow the immediate production of ICAO-compatible charts. It also allows the rule sets to be edited in order to configure new chart templates. This flexibility enables a chart producer to meet their evolving requirements as ICAO, EUROCONTROL and ARINC continue to enhance the concept of a default aeronautical database.
Just as with roadmaps for drivers and nautical charts for maritime navigation, pilots, both commercial and private, need accurate charts to navigate safely and successfully, especially when flying under instrument flight rules.
These aeronautical charts are generally produced by ANSPs (air navigation service providers), airports or aeronautical service providers, and cover all aspects of a flight, from Plotting and Enroute charts for the central part of a flight to Approach charts for instrument approach and missed approach procedures at an airport and including Standard Instrument Departure (SID) and Standard Arrival charts for the transition between the en-route phase and take-off or landing at an airport.
As aeronautical charts need to be able to portray a lot of different information, such as navigation aids and three dimensional air traffic service systems, they can be quite complicated. In addition, due to the international nature of air transport, these charts need to be standardized so that pilots from around the world can easily and quickly recognize their features. These aeronautical chart standards are defined in ICAO Annex 4.
ICE aids chart designers in efficiently producing clear and accurate charts in accordance with the ICAO Annex 4 standards and helps ensure the safety and efficiency and global air transport.
ICE - Main Benefits
ICE – TECHNICAL SHEET
- Automated production and maintenance of ICAO Annex 4 aeronautical charts
- Fully integrated with IDS’s PLX workflow management system
- Data change reports
- Complex chart layout definition
- Rule driven definition of chart symbology and labeling
- Powerful label template editor which allows the label specifications to be designed (using boxes, text, symbols)
- Chart editor functionalities (label editing, masking….) which allow the charts to be cleaned-up in order to produce a finished output ready for publishing/printing purposes.
- What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG)
- Chart Configuration Manager allows the cartographer to define, maintain and store aeronautical charts, according to the charting production workflow
- Chart Layout Manager allows the cartographer to define complex chart layouts including marginalia, legends and cartographic reticules
- Advanced Label Manager allows the definition of complex labelling rules for the automatic placement and de-confliction of chart labels
- Chart Edit Manager allows the cartographer to perform manual cleaning of the chart, in order to finalize the chart for printing and storage
- Chart Feature Changes Manager helps the cartographer during the charting update process, highlighting the data changes that affect the produced charts
- Chart Workflow Manager provides integration with PLX (Workflow and Task Management modules) and allows all the tasks needed for the entire charting production workflow to be managed and monitored
- An Enterprise Data Store guarantees a live connection to the latest version of the data, avoiding any data de-normalization pre-process
- Chart Repository stores, versions and shares the entire dataset of rules, every produced chart and the generated digital outputs
the PROuD project has received a Single European Sky Awards 2017 “special mention for performance and safety” during the World ATM Congress in Madrid!
IDS is pleased to show you the PROuD Project video, the European SESAR large scale demonstration project developed to improve emergency medical and rescue helicopters flight operations in challenging weather conditions or environments.