The former CAE tool ADF has been designed to make the analysis and the optimization of antenna placement on large platforms an integral part of the design process, specifically with reference to satellites and any other kind of electrically large platforms (ships, aircraft, ground stations, automotive…).
Various capabilities are needed, more than one solver is required to accurately cover wide frequency ranges and enable cross-checking of predictions, CAD and meshing tools, smart functions to import and to elaborate manufacturers’ antenna data (often incomplete) and tools for data processing.
A fully-fledged solution is pursued:
- “High-Fidelity” modeling concept is applied: the simplification of the real platform/antenna configuration is no more requested for making feasible electromagnetic modeling
- Sophisticated CAD, cleaning and meshing tools: multi-millions facets models can be easily worked thanks to the optimized and parallelized pre-processing and graphical functionalities
- A palette of 3D simulation methods, parallelized on shared and distributed memory platforms
- Full-wave accurate modeling through “Method of Moments – based methods” enhanced by Multi-Resolution (MR) paradigm and acceleration algorithms (MR-MLFMA, MLSFX3D, MR-Spars, MR-ACA, S-PEEC):
- Multi - Integral Equations (EFIE, MFIE, MPIE, CFIE, PMCWHT…)
- Multi-Resolution (MR)
- Multi-Level Fast Multiple Algorithm (MLFMA)
- Adaptive Cross Approximation (ACA)
- Domain Decomposition (Multi-Level SFX)
- Surface Partial Element Equivalent Circuit (S-PEEC) method
- From DC to hundreds GHz. “Low-frequency breakdown problem” in very low-frequency region solved by appropriate pre-conditioning techniques
- Tens of millions of unknowns runnable on commercial HW
- Modelling of complex and innovative materials (CFRP, nanomaterials, full-wave and homogenized models of smart materials…): a palette of applicable models (symmetric/asymmetric thin sheets, NIBC, bulk material models)
- Modelling of isotropic and anisotropic surfaces
- Strongly multi-scale models accurately simulated: electrically small details into electrically large platforms (ill-conditioning problems solved)
- Different “local physical regimes”, from DC to skin-effect region, and “global physical regimes”, from DC to quasi-static and then to electromagnetic regimes (“R effects”, “R,L effects”, “RLC effects”, “E,H representation”) managed in the frame of a single numerical model
- Accurate modelling of “low-level field in quasi-cavity environment” (transmission through apertures/slots, diffusion through material layers)
- Accurate (anisotropic) modelling of bonding contacts
- Lumped and distributed loads; circuital networks embedded in meshed models
- A scalable antenna modelling strategy that enables the use of antenna models at different complexity levels for different working phases (from feasibility analysis to detailed design): Pattern models, Spherical Wave Expansion, Huygens (equivalent) currents, meshes (i.e. full-wave), etc.
- Capability to import external antenna models
- Modelling of complex harness configurations (full-wave and coupled MTLN models): immunity, emission, etc.
- Physical Optics, Physical Theory of Diffraction (PO/PTD/ITD)
- Innovative Iterative Physical Optics (IPO) method: CPU/GPU, parallel coding, also accelerated through N1/3 complexity algorithm
- Uniform Theory of Diffraction (UTD)
- Stochastic electromagnetics: “Oversized Cavity Theory” based tool
- A library for materials characterization
- A complete palette for antenna coupling calculation: S-parameters, Field-Field Reaction integrals, Field-currents Reaction integrals, Generalized Frijs formula, etc.
- Multi-layers, single layer radomes modelling and design (RTCA DO-213 requirements automatically targeted)
- In-flight, on ground Indirect Effects of Lightning (IEL) modeling
- Accurate modelling of Current Return Network (CRN) (also referred as Almost Equipotential Electrical Networks, ALEEN) for EWIS (Electrical Wiring Interconnection System) optimization on mixed composite/metallic platforms (validated with respect to trans-impedance measurements in the range of mOhm values)
- • User-friendly post-processing: on-mesh interactive visualizations, diagnostic ray tracing, plot on-Earth, G/T, etc. . Verification of:
- Electric/magnetic induced current
- Dissipated RF power vs. location
- Pattern distortion
- Near field distribution
- Ray tracing
- Input impedance / S-Y-Z-parameters
Fully validated methods and codes with respect to internally performed and third parties measurements of industrial complex applications (ships, aircraft, satellite, automotive, antennas, etc.)
The CAE tool ADF has been applied and developed for several years within more than 4000 consultancy services to major industries, agencies and MoDs.