Obstacle Detection System for Level Crossings
Sirio-LX is an automatic radar-based system for railway safety, designed to prevent trains from colliding with obstacles on the track at level crossings. It uses short range high resolution radar to detect objects that enter the area before or while the gates are closing and provides a warning to approaching trains via the existing signaling system.
Operational in any weather condition, including fog, rain and snow, Sirio-LX provides good discrimination between different types of object. These include vehicles, motorbikes and bicycles as well as pedestrians, and detection is possible whether stationary or moving.
Sirio-LX has a very high mean time to failure (MTBF) and has been designed to ensure the highest level of safety standard (SIL4, CENELEC 50129) therefore providing a high level of safety and protection for users of level crossings as well as rail passengers.
STARS Railway Systems is a consortium that has been formed by IDS and Intecs that was founded to develop and manufacture radar based safety systems for railways. Currently, this includes Sirio-LX which is an automatic system to prevent trains from colliding with obstacles on the track at level crossings and Sirio-OD for the automatic detection of objects which have fallen on to railway tracks in high-risk zones such as near overpasses, tunnels and areas prone to landslides.
Sirio-LX Main Benefits
Download Sirio-LX Brochure
The automatic radar-based system for preventing trains from colliding with obstacles
on the track at level crossings. It has been designed to ensure the highest level of safety standard
SIRIO-LX – TECHNICAL SHEET
- Flexible: Observes a parallelogram shaped area with configurable angles and size
- Modular: Up to 4 radar sensors can be used in the same installation site overing all geometries of level crossing
- Performance: Reaction time is only 3 sec
- Reliable: MTBF > 10 years
- Diagnostic Video Camera: Video (closed circuit TV) transmission when obstacle detection occurs for system diagnostic purposes
|Minimum Detectable Obstacle||Sphere of 60 cm diameter|
|Reliability||MTBF > 10 years|
|Safety Requirements||CENELEC 50129, SIL 4|
|Reaction Time||3 sec|
The basic configuration is 1 radar and 1 outdoor cabinet.
- Obstacle detection
- Communicates with the cabinet through RS485
- Sensor diagnostic functions
- Interfaces with signaling through relays
- Provides power to the radar sensor
- Records video of the monitored area
- Transmits information to the remote control system
Remote Control Terminal:
- Receives all information about the status of the level crossing via LAN or GSM-R
- CENELEC 50129
Pistoia, July 1st 2016 – DITECFER, the Tuscan organization for high speed rail and safety technologies has named Stars – Railway Systems as one of the three winners of “DITECFER Leaders in Railway Innovation 2016”
The Siro-LX system for monitoring and detecting obstacles in the vicinity of level crossings was awarded second place in the competition, which recognizes the most promising innovations with a TRL>6 by railway technology companies belonging to the organization.
From 19th to 21st September 2017 the Kick-Off meeting for the ALADDIN project took place at the DIGNEXT premises in the Le Plessis Robinson area of Paris.