Smart materials can offer many possibilities in the field of electromagnetic engineering. Other than off-the-shelf products, IDS can provide tools and services for analysis and design, up to the complete development of custom products.
The IDS EM modeling and simulation software provides high-fidelity modeling at any working level, from parametric analysis and design/optimization of the smart material to the optimal installation on a platform. A specific smart material design tool based on a periodic Method of Moment solver is available for periodic configurations with both parametric and non-parametric shapes. 2.5D and 3D full-wave solvers, capable of effectively managing tens of millions of degrees of freedom (DoF), are available in an electromagnetic toolkit for non-periodic material configurations and for platform or building installations. Isotropic and anisotropic homogenized equivalent models (HEM) (e.g. reflection/transmission coefficients, penetrable and/or impenetrable surface impedance etc.) can be applied to speed up the computation.
IDS’s expert engineers can also provide consulting services at any level of the development process of a smart material. This can extend to providing a “full development cycle” of a custom product, from the definition of detailed technical specifications to production and maintenance:
- Assessment of detailed technical specifications from customer requirements
- Concurrent design, to simultaneously manage electrical, mechanical, environmental and thermal requirements
- Design camouflaging
- Prototyping and verification through in-house performance measurements
- Assessment of applicable technological processes (performance vs. cost)
- Cooperation in the definition of “structural smart materials” (i.e. smart components embedded in customers’ composite structures)
- Product qualification vs. standards
- Cooperation in the engineering of industrial processes for large production
- Investigation, training and qualification activities of local manufacturers on-behalf of the customer
- Modeling and engineering support for optimal installation (e.g. to install RAM panels only where really needed to satisfy requirements)
- Installation and on-site verification: product installation can be verified on-site by IDS technical services using portable measurement systems
IDS’s measurement services can verify smart materials performance vs. frequency and vs. angle. Specially developed imaging/filtering techniques are applied to test materials near to grazing. Qualification of materials (for selected applications and standards) and of production processes can also be provided.
- Comprehensive suite of in-house developed electromagnetic modeling tools
- Smart material analysis and design services covering the full development cycle
- Capability and experience of developing custom smart materials on the basis of customer requirements
- In-house measurement systems and the capability to provide qualification services
- Availability of theoretical know-how, advanced modeling/design software tools and measurement systems, and well proven experience, all in one place
- Extensive experience in the fields of naval, aeronautical and space platform design as well as air navigation (airport site control)
- Continuous R&D activities to improve our capabilities in the areas of computer aided design and optimization methods, technological solutions, manufacturing processes and diagnostics
- Regular collaborations with research institutions (e.g. European Space Agency and Italian MoD) and universities (e.g. Univ. of Pisa, Univ. of Siena, Polytechnic of Turin, Univ. of Montreal)
MEET 2017, the Meeting on Electromagnetic Engineering Technology, came to a successful conclusion in Rome on Wednesday 28th September.